CDBurn - CD writing for your RISC OS machine
Please note that CDBurn is no longer available to buy - it has been
superceeded by CDVDBurn which does everything CDBurn did - and more.
Read everything about CDVDBurn
Since the first CD-ROM saw the light of day, the medium that was
once devised for holding high quality audio recordings has become the
standard medium for nearly every software distribution.
It was around 1996 when the first CD writers became available at
affordable prices. Suddenly, the medium that was only available
when producing around 1000 CDs at a time became popular for a wide
variety of use - custom Data and Audio CDs were just the first step.
CDBurn, introduced at Acorn World 1997, was the first CD mastering
solution for RISC OS that was affordable and was available without a
CDBurn is able to produce both Data and Audio CDs with a minimum
amount of user interaction. While easy to use, it has some very
powerful features not found anywhere else. CDBurn supports both CD-R
and CD-RW writers and media.
CDBurn works together with a wide variety of CD-R writers and
CD-RW rewriters. A summary of all supported and partly-supported
drives is available here. CDBurn supports SCSI
writers and IDE writers (on most computers/podules).
Some of the feature highlights for Data CD creation:
- ISO9660-compliant data formatter
- full support for Joliet extensions - allows you to write CDs with
very deep directory structures and long, case-preserving filenames
(ideally suited for making backups in conjunction with CDROMFS)
- on-the-fly-writing capability - either create your ISO image
before writing, or let CDBurn create it during the write process,
saving valuable disc space
- full multisession capability - enables a step-by-step writing
process to make full use of the available CD capacity
- full drag and drop filer-like Image creation
- support for RISC OS CDFS extensions - enables you to retain
filetype and date/time information in an ISO9660 compatible way
- very flexible, user-definable ISO filename translation - enables
you to enforce full ISO9660 compliance, or to create a CD which fully
exploits the capability of a specific platform
CDBurn's Audio capabilities are also very powerful:
- Extraction of Audio tracks from nearly every CD-ROM or CD writer
- Very easy-to-use track editor
- uses either raw or WAVE format for audio
- Audio Disc at once capability - allows you to record true live CDs, no
more pauses between tracks (this feature is only available for some drives)
- Audio CD database feature - identify your Audio tracks by name,
not by track number
- easy-to-use Copy CD feature
- widely configurable to suit your taste
- mixed-mode CD creation (first track data, other tracks audio)
- support mailing list available free of charge
- bugfixes available free of charge
Where to buy
You can no longer buy CDBurn, since it has been superceeded by
CDVDBurn. So if you want to have all the
latest CD writing features, even if you don't want to use the DVD related
features right now, do not hesitate to order here.
In short - the future is CDVDBurn. It is
likely that there will still be CDBurn upgrades available in the future,
but these will strictly be "bug fixes only" type upgrades.
As you can guess from its name, CDVDBurn
still contains all the CD-related features that made CDBurn the most
successfull CD writing application on RISC OS. And it will surely gain
more useful CD features as time goes by.